Recipe number: 16
Date attempted: 3/27/16
- Link: https://food52.com/recipes/33169-creamy-cauliflower-and-potato-soup
- Review: I’m obsessed with this soup. Notable changes to the recipe – I used a bag of pre rough chopped cauliflower (more than ½ a head), used 4 small potatoes (from natural market), used vegetable broth – not chicken, used ¼ of a cup of sour cream – not crème fraiche. Also for garnish made some roasted mushrooms and carrots instead of using bacon. It would definitely be good with some crispy bacon but I thought the veggies would be a little healthier. Served this for dinner with some friends with the honey beer bread (see next post)
Remi’s Recipe (with modifications from Food 52)
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet yellow onion diced
- 2 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cored and roughly chopped (can be bought in a bag)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth, preferably low-sodium
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese (not pre-shredded)
- shiitake mushrooms (1 carton)
- 2 large carrots
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the diced onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the cauliflower and potatoes and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 more minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a blender, food processor, or with an immersion blender, blend about half the soup until desired consistency. Stir in the cheese, half-and-half, and sour cream.
- Garnish with roasted mushrooms and carrots. Season with salt and pepper to taste, depending on the garnishes used.
- for roasted mushrooms or carrots — slice thin and toss with olive oil and kosher salt. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes until desired crispiness reached. Snack on them all week long.