Recipe Number: 14
Date Attempted: 2/23/16
- Link: https://food52.com/blog/15930-dinner-tonight-eggs-in-spicy-minted-tomato-sauce
- Review: YUMMM. Ok so I used basil instead of mint and instead of using a 28oz can of diced tomatoes I used a 14oz can and a 14oz can of tomato sauce. Also note, half an onion is way sufficient, for hot sauce I use siracha, no butter in there just some olive oil. And I used a few basil leaves and some lemon zest (but that was just because I had lemon zest) . very very good and filling dinner. Would def make again.
Remi’s Recipe (with modifications from food 52)
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- Fresh mint
- 4 eggs
- Crusty bread, for serving
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 14 oz can organic tomato sauce (like in the can but basically pureed tomatoes)
The Game Plan:
About 35 minutes before dinner, seed and chop your jalapeño, onion, and 3 to 4 cloves of garlic. Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet, then sautée the onion for about 5 minutes. Add in the jalapeño and garlic, sauté a minute more, then add tomatoes, a dash (or more) of hot sauce, and the bay leaf. Leave to simmer until it’s thickened—25ish minutes.
Once the sauce has thickened up, chop a tablespoon of fresh basil (or a bunch of dried basil) and scatter in, then make 4 little egg-sized depressions in the sauce. Carefully crack an egg into each depression, sprinkle on some salt and pepper, and cook the eggs to your liking.
Serve straight from the pan with plenty of bread.