Date attempted: 8/7/16
Recipe number: 22
The backstory on this one is pretty simple, I had a ton of leftover ricotta and eggplant (because I bought an extra one) from my stuffed and grilled eggplant. I bring lunch to work everyday so I thought a good, fairly healthy, filling lunch would be whole grain pasta eggplant ziti. This recipe is loosely based off of an eggplant ziti Parmesan but I think it came out a whole lot better.
Review: I would 100% make this again to bring for lunch at work or for a big family (or friends) dinner. Its filling but not too heavy and the eggplant is a nice healthy surprise. Next time I make this I might cut the eggplant into more bite sized pieces. This is mostly because I usually forget to bring a knife to work and then I can get some eggplant-goodness in every bite!
Remi’s Recipe (loosely based off of AllRecipies)
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced ( I used my hand mandolin on number 2)
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 (26 ounce) jar arrabbiata sauce (also known as spicy tomato sauce), or your favorite recipe
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp lemon zest (to taste)
- Place the eggplant slices in a bowl, and sprinkle with salt. Let drain over a bowl in the refrigerator for at least an hour. I did this for about a half hr. It worked out fine.
- Slice the eggplant into manageable bite sized pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook for about 6 minutes, or until almost tender. It will cook the rest of the way in the oven. Drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, mix together the ricotta cheese and eggs in a small bowl. Stir in the basil, lemon zest, half of the mozzarella cheese and Pecorino Romano cheese. Don’t forget to season this layer too (salt and pepper)
- Spread a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Arrange layers of eggplant, cheese, ziti pasta, and more sauce all the way to the top of the pan. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese. (I prefer this all mixed up rather than lasagna style but it’s however you prefer.)
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until heated through and cheese is lightly browned.